Friday, October 30, 2009

Given No Choice

There was never really a choice to be made. It was already decided. Even though for the past two years I have had total control and full power, I was given none this year. I LOVE picking Jack's costume for the Fall Festival. His first Halloween, I found such amazing costumes, he had two. The catepillar was bright and fun and the Jack in the Box was just too ironical to resist. Then, last year, he was that classy and smooth looking giraffe... Not to pat myself on the back, but I just think I have a knack for it, ya know?? And then there's this year....
So, I started looking for the PERFECT costume. Ya know, the ONE that is going to be so great and cute and then... I looked around my house. There are about 350 trains laying everywhere. We have a travel pack of trains with a travel train track, a group that we play with in water, those nice wooden ones that are not allowed to leave the house, and miniature trains that stay in our backpack. We NEVER go ANYWHERE without Thomas the Train and all his friends. As my husband says, "We are Thomas groupies!" We have travled seven hours to ride on his train, four hours to watch him sing and dance, have every Thomas DVD made (and there are many), and a Thomas the Train table that takes up our entire playroom. Jack HAD to be Thomas - there was no other option!!
The problem was the only Thomas outfit I could find was this tacky plastic thing and I did NOT like it, so I put my creative husband to work. We decided Jack would be the train conductor and Ben would make him a Thomas to wear around his waist and this is our result:
Pretty cute, right?? He LOVED it!!
We did have our Fall Festival at church last night. Great fun with great friends!
Is this not the most perfect Snow White you've ever seen?? Shonna has had some technical difficulties lately so I wanted to post some pictures of Caroline in case she can't for a while.
Checking each other out!!
Ben painted some Festival photos for us in addition to the one he made earlier in the year for Jack's birthday. The kids enjoyed being scarecrows, lion tamers, and clowns:)
There's my little scarecrow!
So, it wouldn't have been my first choice. But, I'm telling you, when Ben brought that Thomas the Train out to show Jack, he was soooo excited!! And that made it the PERFECT costume:)
Hope you all have a great Fall!! We're loving it so far!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I miss him so much! He is growing by the second. His costume was too cute and looked perfect on the sweet man. BTW, he is looking more and more like his mother! Ben did an amazing job on those cutouts. It looks like I missed a lot of fun. Did Ben make his train though? I didn't remember you buying one and if Ben made that, well I am super impressed.

What are your fav. movies, smarty?

Anonymous said...

He's a handsome little conductor!!!! LOVE the costume!!!

Lori Griffin said...

I love his costume! You and Ben did a great job! Brodie was a train conductor since he too is CRAZY about Thomas! Talking about your playroom, I wish we had another room besides the playroom for nothing but trains and train track!!

Shonna said...

We had TONS of fun at (and working on) the Fall Festival...just can't wait to see what Aunt Dee dresses Ella as next year:)

BTW, thanks for posting the pics. I am up and running now, but who knows how long it will be before I gt caught up on all my pics!

Mandy Johnson said...

Love the train costume! Ben is so talented. Wish we could have made it home to the Fall Festival. Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Christy said...

Wow! I think the costume turned out super cute. And I am very impressed that Ben made the train.