Tuesday, June 22, 2010

To Infinity and Beyond

Toy Story 3 has been a HUGE topic at our house for MONTHS now!! Jack B had never been to the theatre before and Ben and I knew that "3" would be the perfect first trip. He loves the first two so we knew he would be beyond excited for this one. And he was.... We had been talking about it for weeks.

We made the trip to Destin to "The Rave" b/c our home town theatre is the very, very, very last resort for any movie experience. We ate at our favorite resturant where Jack ordered for himself some "big ole crab claws" and informed me that he no longer needed assistance eating these. (I'm telling y'all - the kid eats an adult sized portion of fried crab claws for an appetizer and then a plate full of shrimp. He's taken seriously the idea of growing up BIG and strong:)

Because I'm one of the directors for our Vacation Bible School (which was set to start two days later) and my husband's grandmother is getting married on Saturday (a whole other post:) and I'm the director of the wedding, I had a few errands to run before the movie. You can imagine right.... So, then we headed all over Destin looking for 150 blue plates, square grid pretzels (that are not as easy to find as you would think), some Toy Story and Princess paraphanelia (this was for valid wedding preparation - i.e. bribing the flower girl and ring bearer to walk down the aisle:) and a few other odds and ends, we were ready for the movie.

We went all out and decided to watch in 3D. I did not realize that if you didn't wear the 3D glasses, the movie was blurry or I wouldn't have gone this route b/c I never thought Jack would wear his glasses. But, it turned out that he was so overstimulated by the big theatre, all the pictures, the life size version of Shrek (which we have a hate/hate relationship with) and the 3D movie that he sat completely still throughout the entire movie with his glasses on and didn't MOVE!!

I was concerned that we had tramautized him to the point that we might never get him in the theatre again, but when we left, I asked, "Jack, did you like Toy Story 3?" and he nodded in the affirmative. Then I asked, "Do you want to watch it again?" and another affirmative. Then he looked at me and said, "I wanna watch "The Upside Down Show." which is a normal request so I think we're ok:)

We had a really fun day. I'll leave you with some pictures I took with my phone during our day. What mother would leave her camera at home and not commemorate the first movie experience??? Hmmm.....

Jack at the splash pad right outside the theatre: (I don't know HOW we kept him out of this water!!)




Waiting in line by "3" to get in the theatre, but with our eyes always on that big green Shrek to make sure he doesn't get any closer:)



It's always nice to have Daddy with us to take a picture of me and Jack - always such good quality too:)


With the exception of my friend Emily (who we've already established has seen three kids just a little cuter here), isn't this the cutest kid you've ever seen in 3D glasses??

I thought so!

11 comments:

Emily :) said...

Yep, he is pretty dern cute. It's a good thing we didn't take our kids together or it might have been too much cuteness for the masses to handle. :)

Glad y'all had fun! It is such a good movie!

Julie said...

YAY!! Looks like a fun trip!! I know people may find this odd, but Jeremy and I have looked forward to our Toy Story 3 date with JP more than our Vegas trip!! We were so disappointed to learn waaaaaay back that it was coming at the movies the very weekend we were away. So, you'll know where we're headed this weekend--Destin! :) And, yes, Jack looks SUPER CUTE in those 3-D glasses. Glad y'all had a fun family of 3 time watch 3. (Oh,I've been told to prepare myself for crying....did you find this to be true?)

Beth said...

We too have a HUGE Buzz and Woody fan! I was as excited about this one as he was! I think more than anything to just watch him! {And I do like Toy Story myself!} We went to the drive-in to watch it. It was super fun! Since it was not available there in 3-D we are already planning a trip for the future to Destin!

Beth said...

We too have a HUGE Buzz and Woody fan! I was as excited about this one as he was! I think more than anything to just watch him! {And I do like Toy Story myself!} We went to the drive-in to watch it. It was super fun! Since it was not available there in 3-D we are already planning a trip for the future to Destin!

Kim said...

What a great first movie experience! I am impressed you kept him out of the water beforehand too. Hope the Wedding and VBS went well!

Colette S said...

Toy story. I'd love to go see it, but right now we have to prioritize with our $. I know my son would love it. We'll see what happens around July - Independence.

That is a whole lot of eating! But alas my son is into the idea of inhaling food around here too so I do see how that is possible :)

See I was worried that my daughter would not want to wear her glasses in the theatre too. She does not wear those things, but the last time we went to see Shrek, she sat there so still! It was too funny. I kept glancing at her wondering when she was going to toss them off and begin the whine, but nada. She watched the whole movie! It was great!
Glad your son kept his on too :)

I love the photos and yes I'm wondering how you kept him out of the splash pool!!!

That is so funny about good quality photo from daddy. I get the same. I rather point at myself!

And yes he is just cute! :)

Loved reading this! Made me laugh so much.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

OMGosh yup super cute! hehe love the pic dad took :)

What a fun time I can't believe he didn't get in the water that would have killed the boys.

OMGosh what a good eater and good taste to boot .. lol

~ Noelle said...

lol...
love how you called dad out on his photography!

Kristen Andrews said...

so cute, we saw Toy Story 3 this week in 3D, I really enjoyed it my son loved it too.

Jami said...

I have been wondering if my little one will sit through 3D too. Rumor is there is a local theater that is playing a non-3D version. I am going to investigate. ..

What IS up with those square pretzels anyway?? I used to make a little snack with them but since we moved here I have not been able to get them. I'm starting to forget what I did with them now...

Lee-Ann said...

What a cutie! We just saw the movie yesterday and I was pretty disappointed by it. :( The kids enjoyed it though.