We've done lots of fun things this summer: beach trips, Vacation Bible School, family dates with friends, cookouts, swimming, all kinds of things that have made it a memorable summer - and FUN most of all. But, we also got some answers that we needed this summer and are (hopefully) headed in the right direction in one major aspect of our family.
We realized about a year ago that Jack was a little unique. Well, we've always know he was special but unique in different ways. He was behind in some areas like:
playing with other children his age
walking up and down stairs
using a fork and spoon
jumping or other physically demanding activities
and there were areas that seemed to give him difficulties that other kids his age didn't seem to have like:
having unusual fears of things that weren't at all scary
have difficulty eating with other children at the table or in the room
participating in group activities
Then, there were other areas where he seemed to be ahead of other children his age such as:
spelling and reading
being able to remember exactly what color door each teacher's room at his school was (even though he's only been in two of those rooms and doesn't know most of those teachers)
being able to quote most of the nursery rhymes after just a few times of reading them
And finally, there were just some things that were different and unusual like:
an obsession with letters, words and spelling
bizarre concentration on odd things
stimming behaviors (a physical reaction to becoming overstimulated)
lack of eye contact
Obviously, none of this alone is a big deal and could be thought of as just quirks but being a social worker, I knew that when you put it all together it meant something was different. Also, he has lots of sensory issues with rubbing his hands together and other repetitive actions he does.
We finally went for some testing and this was the result: Sensory Integration Disorder w/ autism characteristics. We think that the actual diagnosis could very possibly be Asperger's Disorder but Jack is a little young for that diagnosis.
This is not the best news Ben and I have ever gotten of course, but I do think that God had prepared us for this before we went. We've been dealing with it for about a year now and were pretty sure we knew at least the type of results we were going to hear before we ever got there.
I have gone through lots of different feelings and emotions during this whole process, but I always end up here:
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV
Although, Jack's life may look very different from what I originally envisioned, he was ultimately created to glorify God and He can do that in exactly the way God intended if He sets his heart to become the person that God created him to be. God will do more than me, Ben or Jack could ask or imagine in His life - through His power!
A very sweet friend of mine, Emily, sent me a link to another mother's blog who is in a very similiar place right now and she wrote: "One of the reasons that I didn't want to post about Jak's diagnosis is that I have discovered how controversial the world of autism can be. I'm not looking to find the "cause" of Jakson's autism nor am I searching for a "cure". Autism is not cancer, it's not a cold, this is basically my child's whole being. His personality without autism would be completely different." When I read that, it was one of those times that I thought, "That's exactly it. That's just how I feel."
I wouldn't have asked for this and because of it, Jack's life could be very different than anything I would have imagined, but I am so thankful that he is who he is! There are so many quirky, wonderful, fun, funny, exciting, mind-blowing, phenomenal things about him that wouldn't be there if not for this part of him. So, even though it may be more frustrating at times and there may be things we have to do differently, I want him just the way he is and I'm thankful for this!
One of the many things God has already shown me through this is that weakness in some areas can show us how much we need Christ. I'm praying this for Jack:
"We pray that you'll live well for the Master, making him proud of you as you work hard in his orchard. As you learn more and more how God works, you will learn how to do your work. We pray that you'll have the strength to stick it out over the long haul—not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength God gives. It is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy, thanking the Father who makes us strong enough to take part in everything bright and beautiful that he has for us." Colossians 1:10-12 The Message
God has something bright and beautiful for our family and for Jack! His strength with spill over into joy as we continue to be thankful in all these things and for this wonderful and perfectly created blessing...

23 comments:
What a beautiful post. I love the attitude you are taking with this. It is good that you know, now you can get Jack the things he needs to help him.
What beautiful words. I love Jack's personality. He is a blessing from God.
Lori, this really touched my heart. Isn't it comforting to know that HE knows the plans He has for us! I have learned that sometimes when it seems our life is changing course, really we have just been given a clearer view of the path that was laid for us all along. I know that Jack is your blessing and what a blessed little boy to have you for a mommy.
What a beautiful post Lori. I'm praying for wisdom for you and Ben as you help Jack become all God created him to be. What a beautiful story/testimony he will have! He is blessed to have such wonderful parents.
Lori, Jack is a great little fellow. About as handsome as they can get in my opinion. I want to commend you on your parenting skills. The little I saw on our short visit. You are doing great. I think your approach with Jack will definitely help him grow with any delays. I honestly wish many parents could watch you with him. I see sooo many parents who enable children (I'm very sure you do too) and if there is any enabling from your household it's the type that will help Jack develomentally. God has blessed you and Ben with such a precious little boy. I just think he's as sweet as sugar. The most behaved child I've had Ivy around. So keep it up!
I'm glad that we found each other! My Jak sounds very similar in a lot of ways to yours. The fears part definitely-Jak will climb on the roof, but adamently refuses to enter a public bathroom. Frustrating? Yes. And I too feel like pulling my hair out at least once a day. But the other things that make Jak, Jak, I just wouldn't trade them.
Beautiful post.
What wonderful parents he is blessed with. Truly, I mean that. Autism is a huge spectrum, and any area of the spectrum can be difficult for parents to hear. I applaud your sense of optimism on what cannot be easy to hear as a parent. He is a wonderful little man and will continue to do well. Hugs to you!
Praising God for your son who is fearfully and wonderfully made!
Sweetest post ever!!! We love you, Ben, and Jack B much:)
What a truly touching, heartfelt post. Jack is very lucky to be blessed with parents such as yourselves and you are lucky to have him. (((Hugs)))!
Hi Lori! Have been a stranger myself here in bloggy world for awhile now. Been out there living life: which in turn leaves little time to write about it! :) What irony!
The thought that keeps coming to my mind as I think about you and your sweet boy is, If He (Christ) leads you to it, He'll lead you through it. From your post with your heartfelt message and scripture, sounds like you have a really good handle on it. i will be praying for all of you. God bless!
Much love...
Lori, how beautiful your description of Jack really is. You are a loving mother who wants the best for your child. But I love how you are trusting him to the Lord; his Creator. That's the best place to put your trust.
Thanks for stopping by Heart Choices.
Blessings,
Debbie
Lori, What can I say except God knew exactly what He was doing when He blessed you and Ben with little Jack. You continue to amaze me with the pace you are growing. Isn't it Awsome to know that Jack was God's Plan for you and your wonderful family. Let's have a Play Day, Haley Grace & I would cherish it.
Oh that is the most beautiful post, you are such an amazing woman and mom. You have such strength and see the wonderful side of all. God knew he was giving you a gift and the right little one to the right family that will allow him to grow and become an amazing young man.
Jack is already ahead by having two wonderful and caring parents like you and Ben.
We are going through something similar with my 7 year old nephew I help to take care off. We've been waiting for the official diagnoses and testing for over a year now and in October it will be his turn. All signs point to Asperger's, but he also developed full facial and body ticks since June.
I love your post full of love and hope for the future. My sister is a single mom and I wish she would have the same attitude, but I am hoping in time and with my help she'll too will look for the silver lining.
I am so glad you decided to share this post. I know it has and will continue to minister to many out there who are facing similar challenges. Jack truly is blessed to have such wonderful parents who will always make sure he knows how special and wonderfully made he is!
Precious post!! You couldn't have a better attitude...he is exactly the way that God wants him to be! We are praying for you all.
this is a very touching post and it sounds like you have very good perspective Jack is lucky to have you as his Mom as you are lucky to have such a blessing.
What a blessing from that God that he has given His little boy, Jack, to you and Ben to love and raise in a Christian home. You're a strong Godly woman/mother/wife and Jack is fortunate to have YOU! God maketh no mistake!! I love you!
With your loving attitude, Jack is in the best of hands. I've gotten to know a few people who have children who have been diagnosed with autism and it can be a challenge but it can be very rewarding as well. Best of luck on your journey, and I think the good thing is there is a lot more understanding and support and programs for children with autism these days.
Your attitude and outlook is phenomenal!!!! I pray God continues to give you peace about this. You and Ben have done a wonderful job with this great little boy. We love you and Jack B just the way you are!!!
Isn't it awesome to know that God chose YOU and BEN to be his parents!?! He is so very blessed :) Sending our love!
This is one of the most beautiful posts on this subject I have ever read. Your son is absolutely adorable, and your attitude is inspiring.
Post a Comment