Friday, August 20, 2010

A Needle in Every Haystack

I thought having a name for Jack's problems would be really helpful, but I've found since we got our diagnosis that the name for it isn't really important, but instead finding ways to cope with the behaviors that come from it is what we're really looking for. And we've decided to try everything! People have been so helpful to give ideas and tell me things that have worked for their children, but we have to find out what works for Jack.

We're going to start with ABA therapy at a place called Brilliant Minds in Destin, Florida. We took Jack for an assessment there last week and he LOVED it - he keeps asking to go back. That's a good thing since we're going to be going back twice a week for a while. I like the idea of behavior based therapy. They don't care what the diagnosis is. Instead they ask, "What is the behavior we want to change?"

The answer to that is easy right now. A couple of Jack's problems have gotten much worse recently: He cannot eat around babies (diapers is more the issue). By that I mean, he can't eat in a resturant if a baby is within hearing distance, he can't eat if a baby is on tv, he can't eat if a baby doll is in the same house as him. When I say can't, I mean he physically vomits if he tries to eat in these conditions. You can imagine how much fun dining out is right now, especially since we can't really control if a baby comes in AFTER we've begun eating. Then it is a race to the door OUT of the resturant before we ruin everyone's meal:)

He also becomes fearful of the strangest things. He walked in his room a few days ago and just lost it - ran from the room, wouldn't go back in there, but also couldn't tell me why. This is HIS room - the room he has lived in for a year now with no problems, the room he loves and plays in by himself all the time. It took me two days to figure it out. Two days of holding him in his room while he shakes and hides his eyes and ears before I could pinpoint the exact thing that was causing the fear and it was this.

A small, blue, glass elephant figurine that was mine when I was a baby and has been in Jack's room since before he was born and has never bothered him before. That's it: it was nothing scary or odd or new or different, but that day, something about it terrified him. He was able to play with it after we talked about it. He talks about it a lot still, and he can look at it and play with it now that we've discussed what it is and that it's nice and not scary.

My biggest question isn't "Why did THIS scare him?" even though it's not scary and shouldn't scare him. My biggest questions are: "Why did that bother him TODAY when it has never bothered him before?" and "Why couldn't he point to it or tell me what scared him?" Those are the frustrating parts of this - things that seem so simple to fix apparantly are not evident to Jack in the way they would be to others. It would have taken no effort for any other child to just point to it when I asked 1000 times, "What scares you?" but he COULD NOT do it - he just couldn't show me what it was.

So, every room, resturant, house, and store we go to has become our haystack and we are all scanning the walls and shelves for that needle that's going to set him off. It's never what I think it will be. It's an elephant he's had forever, or a Miss Piggy doll wearing a diaper, or "The Jungle Book" on tv, or a picture of people walking down the street.... It's never the horror movie on tv when we're fliping the channels, or the pictures of aliens in the movie store, or the dark, or monsters on Ben's video games - the things that would make sense to me... And sometimes it's nothing - he does just fine. But every situation is a possible meltdown, or fear, or sickness and we are always on the alert, even in our house. Honestly, it can be exhausting, but we're working on it. We're doing something, we're trying something, we're being proactive. It may not work. It may not be what he needs. But it's something and for now, that feels good. It feels hopeful and today, that's enough.

16 comments:

bethany said...

Oh man this sounds like my life. It is just like that-so unpredictable. Someone I was talking to yesterday told me that I should just eliminate the things that Jak is anxious about from his life. If only it was that simple.... Do people think I'm an idiot or something and couldn't have come up with that brilliant idea on my own? :)

The baby thing is really quite funny-though a pain to deal with. I'm so glad that you are going to be able to receive ABA. I'm not sure it's in the budget for us right now, but it's high on my list of perfect therapies for Jak! You'll have to let me know how you like it as the weeks go on.

~ Noelle said...

i hate that...
i wish yall the best of luck in facing all of what lies ahead...

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh hun I'm so sorry to hear that he is having those problems that is hard for him and for you guys also!

How terrifying, I can't imagine feeling like that even in your own room.

Many prayers.

P.S. Yes it was me the Good Guy & Post Grad. Hope you enjoyed :)

everythingismeowsome said...

Praying for good results with this therapy! I really, really sympathize with what you are going through.

The Social Frog said...

Wow, I imagine it must be hard to know things are going on with your child but not be able to figure out exactly what it is & fix it. I will pray for you and your family and everyone that comes in contact with your son.
Hugs :)

Heather said...

That has to be hard Lori, praying for you and your little family for answers and that you find that needle to fix it all. :)

Lynn Castleberry said...

Lori, I am so proud of you for being proactive and not saying "why me?" I don't know that I could do the same! Jack Benjamin is very lucky to have you. I pray that things get better and that God leads you in every decision you have to make. Love you guys!!

Lynn Castleberry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynn Castleberry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

It's hard, but you are doing great.

My sister will not go almost anywhere with her son unless I come as the moral support and the level headed one.Some trips go without a glitch and others are full of episodes.

Kristen Andrews said...

I can only imagine how hard this must be for you guys, big hug and you are in my prayers to find answers that will help your little man

Jenners said...

This sounds amazingly difficult....especially because it seems so unpredictable.

I think focusing on behaviors is a good thing. Best of luck!

Julie said...

Patience is a virtue, and you seem to be doing a jam-up good job. I'm proud of you and the wonderful mother you are to your baby boy. I pray that Jack will have a GREAT day at Brillian Minds on Tuesday and it will be just what he needs!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I just adore your positive outlook. We often do the same things at school with our students. You are amazing!!!

Emily :) said...

Praying for you Lori! So glad that the therapy seems to be going well. (Hugs)

Tiffany said...

I praise you for being a compassionate, calm spirited and determined mother to Jack. Jack is truly blessed to have you as his mother and I hope that his therapy helps guide you all through and pinpoint his triggers. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.