Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Whatnot Wednesday

EveryDaytheWonderfulHappens

I think I've mentioned that Jack's new obsession is movies and movie previews. I'm not even close to exaggerating when I say "obsession" either. One of Jack's friends is really into the Three Little Pigs right now and he was huffing and puffing the other day. I told Jack, "Look, Will is pretending to be the big, bad wolf." Jack turned to him and out of the side of his mouth said, "I can't do nothing for ya, son." I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I'm Mr. Cogburn. I'm True Grit." Some kids like Three Little Pigs and some kids like modern westerns. To each his own, ya know?

Speaking of odd things my child watches on television, he told me the other day that he needed to "go to Grandaddy's and watch Bill O'Reilly." I'm pretty sure he just wanted to go to his grandparents house but it was still a little scary. I'm planning to let him watch "An Inconvenient Truth" and "The Conspirator" soon. I feel like a little Al Gore and Robert Redford will level the playing field on nuts from each side pretty well.

Speaking of Robert Redford, has anybody EVER aged so well??? Honestly, the man's got to be like 100 years old and I could easily still consider him sexy.

Speaking of politics (which I really hate to do), is anyone else dreading an upcoming presidential election like you dread a root canal? I really can't wait to read who everyone on facebook is backing too cause you know I'm waiting on the person who tells me what time they took a shower each day and exactly how long they spent in Walmart on any given day (with all the words spelled correctly - phonetically anyway:) to tell me how to vote for President.

Speaking of snobs, (I know that I wasn't but I sort of had a little thing going today with the Speaking of...) I know that I totally sounded like a word snob just now. I do love words, but I'm betting there are tons of grammatical errors in this post because God's just got a sense of humor:)

Speaking of humor, my new friend Davidson from Haiti (my translator for the week) was NOT impressed with my humor. I would assume there was a break in communication and so I would attempt to explain my jokes. He would always answer with, "Yes, I get it." He just never laughed. He did spend a good part of the week laughing AT me though assuring me that the fact that I'm only funny unintentionally is universal.

Speaking of Haiti, we started the week off saying that we were going to be flexible. After about 10 changes in our itinerary (in the first hour of the trip) and a group leader who missed his flight and didn't arrive until the next day, we decided that we wouldn't be flexible but instead be fluid. I gotta tell you, in a third world country, being fluid is not only a necessity , but can also create a lot of laughs. Again, a lot of them were AT me, but laughs are laughs.

Speaking of laughing, head on over to The Wonderful Happens and fill us in on all the funny things in your head right now - both intentional and unintentional... I've found that people laughing at you can be just as good as them laughing with you. You just have to be fluid:)

4 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

I love that your translator felt comfortable enough with you to NOT laugh at your jokes.

I am dreading the election--mostly because of dumb people. I mean, I'm not saying I'm up to date on every topic, but that's why I'm not talking about it--I realize that I don't know enough to speak about some of the stuff. I might have to quit Facebook for a few months, although I feel the same way every football season--there's always one person who updates their status with every play of a game. I guess I'll just do what I've done in the past--if someone gets too annoying, I just hide them. I swear, about 25% of my "friends" are hidden!

Kyetra said...

I'm totally not looking forward to election time and it will be here fast. Both sides have gotten a little extreme lately. It has turned into a "mine's bigger than your's" fight. ;0
I will be glad when we get obsessed with a type of movie instead of just one. I have watched Robots about 50 times in the past 2 weeks.

Michele said...

I had the best time reading this! Thanks for making me laugh :) My little guys have the quirkiest obsessions too. I just roll with it! Hope you're having a good week!

Pam said...

This post had me cracking up!! The true grit reference was spot on! LOL

I am dreading the election... but mostly because I'm VERY political and the hubs is not. So when I get fired up about something and try to talk to him about it, he's like... meh. UGH! But, you wont read about who I'm backing on the blog... unless I'm asked, I wont discuss it. :)