Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hit the Road, Jack!

We have been roadies lately and it feels like we are never home.  I'm telling you... I went to a two day work week and I've never been so busy in my life.  Here are a few of our recent escapades:

*My friend Tara and I watched the Broadway musical "Wicked."  They were on tour in Atlanta and it had always been on Tara's bucket list. It is sort of the story of how the Wicked Witch of the West became wicked.  It was really fantastic.  I won't go into how we had to practically beg for the last two tickets and how we showed up right in the middle of the Gay Pride Parade which happened to be going on right in front of the theater - roads were closed; traffic was backed up; it was pretty nuts, but totally worth it.  The play was wonderful!

*Ben and I and Tara and her husband, Timmy went to the Atlanta Falcons/Greenbay Packers game last Sunday.  We got to see Julio Jones play (my love!!) and even though he got hurt and the Falcons lost the game, it was fun, fun, fun.  We had great seats and the crowd around us was fun and chatty.  And let's be honest, there was football and where there is football, there is fun.

*We spent the week in Houston about three weeks ago.  We did nothing.  Jack refused to leave the room most of the time.  I would drag him out at night to go eat with Ben and I, but other than that.. he and I rested in the room. It was wonderful!

*We spend a lot of our time in Destin, FL these days.  We go (at least) once a week for Jack's OT.  Ben and I had researched tablets for a while now.  It all started with me wanting a Nook (because I'm a reader and Barnes and Noble has the greatest Nook covers ever - doesn't it make you want to buy one when you see those as you walk in the door).  I've held out on a e-reader for years now because I didn't think I could give up holding a real book, but I'm over that now.  I wanted it and I had decided on the Kindle instead and then that went to a tablet so Jack could use it.  Anyway, long story short, we got the Toshiba Thrive in Destin Monday.  I think I have gotten to play with it for about 5 minutes - the time it took Jack to show me how to download apps.  He plays with an Ipad at the school board so he was up on this.  He took it over and hasn't put it down yet.

*We've also done lots of costume shopping lately.  It's Jack's new thing.  Don't get me wrong; he's still a movie buff, but he's learned that they now have all these costumes from his movies hanging in the stores.  It's wonderful!! It took us forever to decide on a Halloween costume this year, but I think we have finally narrowed it down.  Jack didn't go with us to Atlanta, but we told him we would bring him a surprise.  He wanted a costume - a particular costume. I"m not sure I would have complied but his Dad brought him a Scream 4 costume complete with a sword that pours blood when you swing it. Jack was thrilled.  Proud moment for us all.

So, that's just an overview.  And we're not slowing down anytime soon.  We have the Fall Festival at church next Sunday and Jack's Little Friends Halloween party at our house the next morning.  When Ben gets home, he and I are heading to the Bama/LSU game and then the family is headed to Disney for a week with the Fores and the Bulgers.  We have promised ourselves that we are slowing down after that.  But it won't be long before our heads start singing again, I'm sure.... "Hit the road, Jack and don't you come back...."

1 comment:

Beth said...

Lori, you have been busy! I have a question about the ipad and the Thrive....I am also a reader and can't come to grips with not having a book to hold...next, I've been thinking about getting John Luke an iPad for Christmas. He loves to play the games on my mother and sister's iphones so I thought that would be something he liked. Then somebody told me about he Kindle or Nook or maybe it was the Thrive {I'm so out of touch with technology} anyway, that you could download apps like the ones on the iPad on them. Now finally my question is, what do you think? Thanks and happy trails;)