Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's What's for Dinner

I've made a plan. Yep, a plan!! We have been eating out WAY too much lately and every time I go to the grocery store, I still feel like there's nothing to eat in my house. Do you feel me??? It drives me C.R.A.Z.Y!!! So, I decided to make a menu for the week and buy just those items from the store and see how it went. I'm not great with follow thru when I make my plans a lot of the time, but I did make a menu and I've cooked a few of the items so far.... I thought I would share it with all of you because I'm just so proud of myself:)

Saturday:

Bacon, Cheese, and Potato Chowder

Sunday:

We eat with family at lunch and with friends for dinner. I'm not even going to pretend to cook on Sundays. The upside is my mother or Ben's grandmother does cook:)

Monday:

Shepard's Pie (Foreman style)

Tuesday:

I cheated here - Jack was with his grandmother and I worked late so we got burgers.

Wednesday:

BBQ shrimp
Linguine with crab

Thursday:

Saucy Chicken Parmesean
Creamed Potatos
Corn Nuggets

Friday:

Tacos

Saturday:

Spicy Chicken Fingers
Homemade mac and cheese
Green Beans

Sounds pretty good, right? The shrimp and pasta was supposed to be for tonight but that just didn't work out. Other than that, I've stuck with it so far. We'll see if I can keep it up. The hardest part is coming up with the menu (in my opinion) so I'm proud of that at least. I've been meaning to post my recipe for cheese straws that several of you asked for and I'll do that soon so if anyone wants any of these recipes, just leave me a comment and I'll post it then as well.

What's for your dinner this week? I'm always up for ideas to steal. Apparently, you have to start this whole process over every week....

10 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

I meal plan too. It is the only way to have any sanity. I just got a new recipe book by Rachel Ray called Yum-O, The Family Cookbook. Tonight we had noodle bowls with shrimp and veggies. It was yummy! I also use allrecipes.com a lot!

nuts said...

wow, perfect meal plan! I love the cheat day haha. I always wanted to cook and follow my plan but oftentimes find myself burgers for meal. =) On weekends, I always find time to at least prepare one decent meal. :)

Colette S said...

This is a great! I've always wanted to try it because I feel exactly like you as if I don't have anything in the house to eat. and it does drive me nuts.

We don't eat out though so I end up stretching leftovers.

I'll definitely try to start up a plan like this.

At least for a few months and see how it works.

You should definitely be proud of you!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Your meal plan looks awesome, great job.

I haven't made Shepard's Pie in ages. Thanks for the ideas.

Karen said...

The menu is the hardest part and unless you're very careful it becomes redundant after about, oh, 2 weeks... allrecipes.com is an awesome site - you still have to plan the entire menu, but it has some great recipe ideas (with user reviews and tips!) I'm trying 2 new recipes this week - we'll see how it goes over in my family... :)

Heather said...

I love to make my menu, and buy exactly what I need instead of just wandering around the grocery store. I too find making the list the hard part.

Tina K Rogers said...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1938,150175-226199,00.html

I use stewing beef instead of steak. best if cooked in crockpot all day. i use oxo (which are english and it's how scott's grandmother does it, but a beef bullion cube would work just fine too). I also use the rolled up pie crust from the dairy section. if you are good at making gravy with the juices from the meat do that. if not grab a package of gravy mix. you pour the gravy over each piece when you are serving. also, when cooking the pie i brush a scrambled egg over the top of my pie crust as it makes it more flaky. and put 3 slits in the top of the pie.

Adrienne said...

Keep it up I used to be terrible and now I plan them out a month at a time mind you it too a year to get to that point but I love I shop once per month and on Fridays I set a small budget for special snacks, milk and bread (I look for coupons and look at the current ad for my store and write my monthly meal and sometimes if it is a good sale on something I make note to put it on next months menu because it is in the freezer we eat out only once per month now!

Melody said...

Hey that's awesome! It does feel good to get back in the cooking at home groove, doesn't it? Your meals sounded delicious. I tried a pork tenderloin in a crock pot recipe that was yumminess: cut all the fat off and poke a million holes on top and bottom of pork loin and then pour in a can of whole cranberry sauce and cook on low for six hours or high for three hours. It's really good and easy.

Serendipity is Sweet said...

I really need to do this too!
Thanks for the inspiration.