Thursday, April 14, 2011

The List

I read on a blog several months ago about a challenge to read 100 books in a year. I thought that I probably did that anyway so I decided to keep a list this year and just see. About a month in, I realized that 100 books in a year was A LOT and as a mother of a three year old, that probably wasn't going to happen. Then, I went several weeks without reading at all and in the end, I'm really embarrassed by my lowly list of only 13 books right now {hangs head in shame}.

Anyway, a couple of you ask yesterday what books I have been reading, so I thought I would share my small, shameful, embarrassingly short list with you here. I'm going to keep adding to it (or try to remember to) just to see how many books I read this year. You will see that I've been on an Elin Hilderbrand kick lately. I do that a lot with authors - find a book and then read all of that author's books. I'm reading her books right now for one reason - they are all set in Nantucket on the beach. I am a SUCKER for a beach read especially in Spring when beach weather is upon us! So, that's why a lot of hers are on the list right now (that and the fact that my public library has all her books).

I'm no book critic (although I think it is a job in which I would excel:), but I'm going to rate the books on a five star system {*****}. I'm doing this because I don't want you to think that just because I've read a book means it is a good book. Really, I read bad books ALL THE TIME!! So, anyway, here is my little list.... that I am hoping gets a little more impressive as the year passes!

  1. In the Company of Others by Jan Karon ***
  2. Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore *****
  3. Her Mother’s Hope by Francine Rivers ***
  4. Her Daughter’s Dream by Francine Rivers ***
  5. Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella *
  6. Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond ***
  7. The Island by Elin Hilderbrand ***
  8. Tales from the Yoga Studio by Rain Mitchell *
  9. Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand ***
  10. The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand ***
  11. Nantucket Nights by Elin Hilderbrand **
  12. The Love Season by Elin Hilderbrand ***
  13. A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand **
Happy Reading!

8 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing your list! 13 isn't anything to be ashamed of! That's about 3 a month.

I read the new Francine Rivers books also and LOVED them. SO good!

Amanda said...

Loved Loved Loved "Same Kind of Different As Me"! Glad you enjoyed it too!

Melody said...

I've been wanting to read both of those books by Francine Rivers. My mom has read, "Her Mother's Hope" and I know have it, just neet to make time :)

Love your list!

DuBose Family said...

Great idea! Mind if I steal it? I love looking for new books to read and your * system points me in the right direction. BTW, I haven't counted but I seriously doubt I have read 13 books this year....Does Anatomy 202 count? JK!

Beth said...

This is funny. I saw the same list on several blogs and I have been meaning to make my own list as well and add it to my blog. I started making my list last night but didn't finish. I love to read but don't find nearly enough time. If I could stay off the blogs, I could probably get a whole lot more done! I am sure that I will not get 100 read this year either. But I do love to see what others are reading and what they suggest! Thanks for the list!

Karen said...

I LOVE the list idea! (I do love lists!) I need to do this - but I can't remember what I've read since the beginning of the year - that may be my project for this afternoon! Thanks for sharing :)

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Awsome list...thank you for sharing!

Karen said...

Make sure you read "Here Burns My Candle" first - it's not as good as the second half, but sets up the story so it is necessary, even if it does drag in spots. I stayed up waaaaay too late last night finishing "Mine Is The Night" It was soo good! :)