Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Whatnot Wednesday

EveryDaytheWonderfulHappens

- I've talked about what I enjoyed most about the conference I attended last weekend in my previous post, but I didn't tell what I found really neat. Of all the pediatricians in the group that we use for Jack, his pediatrician was the only one at the conference. And of all the behavior analysts at Brilliant Minds, Jack's therapist was the only one there. I just felt like our "team" was there getting all this great info. Just lagniappe:)

- I love the word lagniappe. It means a little extra or an unexpected gift. Our favorite restaurant is Louisiana Lagniappe and it took me forever to be able to pronounce it correctly. I'm still not completely sure that I get it right, but I have been able to overcome that concern in my haste to attempt to use it in regular conversation. I have a friend that can use it conversationally effortlessly, but I fear that I don't have that same gift.

- I'm excited every night now b/c the NBA playoffs have started. I get to watch two games each night. Last year, every team I've pulled for lost and I would have to change teams in each series. The same thing has happened so far this year. Luckily, I have no real allegiance to any one team so this isn't too much of an issue. I do however have a real and very large dislike for the Lakers. I'm beginning to think, however, that it might be a better plan to pull FOR them considering my record. Regardless, it's good entertainment for me.

- Ben had been taking Jack to school while he was home, so this past Tuesday was the first time I had taken him in about three weeks. Ben hadn't looked in his cubby hole so yesterday I found a big bag of Easter goodies from all his friends. That was the first time I had even thought of it and realized that we sent nothing for the other children, or his teachers, or anyone else for that matter. Just let that holiday slip right by... it's a pretty big one for Christians, too. I am ashamed!

- Tony the Tiger was on a commercial the other day. I saw Jack watching it really closely and when it was over, he said, "Mom, can we like that tiger?" He was a little apprehensive to even ask b/c he knows that tigers are normally OFF LIMITS at our house. But I told him that he was allowed to like Tony the Tiger. He replied, "Big Al must not play that tiger." He's right - that's exactly why he's allowed to like that tiger.

- I'm very excited about the movie Something Borrowed coming out. I liked the books and I REALLY like John Krasinski! I don't know who in the world is going to watch it with me considering it's probably not appropriate for my 4 year old and my husband is about 600 miles away. Still, I'm excited.

- I'm totally and completely bummed that I missed Michael Scott's last night on The Office. They moved it to Saturday night instead of Thursday and I was at the conference specifically speaking to John Elder Robison while it was on. Because it was a different night, the DVR didn't record it. Totally bummed.... The reason to miss it was totally worth it, but still. I feel like I missed a really momentous occasion.

Now that you're all a little less intelligent from reading these, return the favor. Head on over to The Wonderful Happens and let us know all the ramblings in your head!

11 comments:

Grace said...

i canNOT stand the lakers! boo!!!
and what's up with the tiger thing? you'll need to explain that one!
oh, and thank you from this word nerd for teaching me a new one today :)

Jenny said...

Oh my, hadn't gotten that far in my DVR, really they moved it w/o telling anyone! what the hey!

The tiger thing cracked me up! My brother in law played football for Alabama, so I get it :)

everythingismeowsome said...

It was a really good episode--I bet you can catch it on nbc.com or hulu.com

Also, I think it's really cool that your pediatrician and Jacks therapist was at the meeting. Very lasagna-lappy or whatever that word was. :)

Emily :) said...

I love your word (that I won't even attempt to write)!!!

I have been wanting to see Something Borrowed and did not realize it is a book. So, I will have to read it now. :)

That is very cool about your "team" at the conference. Thankful God has brought them into your life!

Megan said...

haha!! I know exactly what you mean about wanting to drop words in conversation, but not feeling confident enough to do so :)

Cindi Dailey said...

Ahh...Lagniappe. I grew up in Louisiana...We live in Florida now (for about 22 years) and every once in a while, someone will say that word and then ask people what it means. But please, don't ask me to spell it...i'd put langyappe...

Karen said...

I didn't know "Something Borrowed" was a book either! I'll have to add it to my ever growing list of books to read.

Try hulu.com or nbc site to watch the "Office" it's what I do when I have to miss castle or ncis... less advertisements too!

Beth said...

These are funny! What is Something Borrowed about? Yes, I'm soooooo out of touch!

Tina K Rogers said...

if by chance i can read the book before the movie comes out i'd love to go. i read all her other books last summer. right now i'm unsure if i'm coming or going so maybe i'll fit reading time.

Cara S. said...

Aww I love that he asked if he can like Tony the Tiger! So cute, you should have responded Yes, yes we do like Tony the Tiger....he's greeeeeeeeeaaaaaaat! New follower just wanted to say hi!

Melanie said...

I would love to see that movie with you. John Krasinski is a huge crush for me. Something about the odd face mixed with so much confidence and height! Michael's last episode of the office made me cry but I had to hide it from Hubby because he does not understand crying about people who aren't real. However, you should run straight to NBC to watch it because it will be there. We had to watch the week before on there because it was cancelled because of storms. Oh, and your vacation pics just made me really want to get to the beach. I wish we were 90 minutes from that kind of beauty!