Friday, November 4, 2011

Whatnot Wednesday...Friday Edition

EveryDaytheWonderfulHappens 

 I thought I was going to have to miss this week again, but I figure if Elizabeth can do a Friday edition, I can too.    I'm following the Whatnot Wednesday leadership:)

Jack got some new boots this Fall.  He loves them. I was really surprised because he's normally funny about shoes and they have a little heel on them so I was worried he wouldn't wear them when I bought them.  I really couldn't figure out why he liked them so much.  He put them on this morning and said, "Now I look like Captain Jack Sparrow, Rooster Cogburn, Puss n' Boots, and Priest."  Now I get it.

The TV Guide channel has started airing some old sitcoms during the day.  Designing Women is one of them.  I never really understood women's fascination with The Golden Girls, but Designing Women I totally get.  I set the DVR to record a few episodes and the first one was the ski trip vacation episode.  My favorite. Julia has this line, "I love men.  In particular, I love this one. But we cannot ignore history and history has shown that, in general, it has been the men who have done the raping and the robbing and the war mongering for the last 2000 years. It has been the men who have done the pillaging and the beheading and the subjugating of whole races into slavery. It has been the men who have done the law making and the money making and most of the mischief making so if the world isn't quite what you had in mind, you have only yourselves to thank."  I'm not much of a feminist, but that's just classic TV at it's best.

My DVR is on overload right now. I mentioned earlier that Ben and I are going to the Alabama game this weekend.  That means that our DVR is in charge of taping Gameday, the Bama game (cause we are hoping for one we can watch over and over again), a few more important games on Saturday and NFL Red Zone for about 7 hours on Sunday.  There's just so much work that goes into missing a football weekend at home.

Speaking of the big game, my husband has sort of a tradition before big games.  He gets a little sick.  I think he was actually sick before a big game about four years ago and now I think it's just muscle memory:)  It sounds ridiculous, but we own the fact that we are pretty ridiculous when it comes to football.  And it's not just us.  I have literally gotten four texts this week from different people asking where Ben is going to throw up before the game since we'll be in the stadium.  We have a whole team of people brainstorming the logistics.

Dancing with the Stars is back - it's been back for several weeks.  As a self-proclaimed expert on DWTS, I think I can predict the top three that will make the finals:  Ricki, JR, and Rob.  What has been so surprising is how much I heart Rob Kardashian.  I've never been one to keep up with the Kardashians, but I'm nuts about this kid.

In addition to all this important television I've been watching, I'm reading three books right now too.  First, I'm reading "Jane Eyre" again.  For one, my friend Karen got me interested in re-reading it.  Also, it was free on our Kindle app and I wanted to read a book on our tablet.  I'm also reading "Wicked."  Tara and I saw the musical and now I have to read the book.  Sometimes I love it and sometimes it's a chore, but I saw the play so there's no other option but to finish it.  Third, I'm reading "Gods and Football" because it's about God and football.  I don't know why I don't have time to sweep my floors.

We have several pumpkins in our house.  We have a Yoda pumpkin, a spider pumpkin, a monster pumpkin, and a lady pumpkin.  I started to throw them out the other day and Jack was appalled.  We may end up with a turkey pumpkin, a Santa pumpkin, a snowman pumpkin and a Jesus pumpkin.

Jack (who is 4) and Piper (who is 3) are around each other all the time.  Tara and I have called arranged marriage since Piper's birth, but realistically, they are probably going to know each other a little too well for that.  We got a hint of hope the night we took them to see Puss n' Boots, though.  We went to eat first and they were sitting across from each other at the table.  Jack leaned over and said, "Piper, is your chicken good?"  Piper replies, "Yes.  How's your steak?"  Jack said, "It's good, too."  Then, they ignored each other for the rest of the meal.  It looked like an old married couple to me.

My friend, Tina commented that she liked Whatnot Wednesday and I know she loves my son because she's so cool about him so this last Whatnot is for her:  Jack was watching movie previews the other day and I heard him tell his friend, Dave the Giraffe, this:  "Horrible Bosses is rated R.  I have to wait 14 years before I can watch it."  It stopped me in my tracks for a second and then he said this:  "But Green Lantern is PG-13.  I can see it in 9 years." Now, I know someone had to tell him that, but I give him props for asking somebody in the first place.  He's cool.

Head over to The Wonderful Happens and tell us your Wednesday Whatnots on Friday.


5 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey! I am weeks behind on reading friends blogs. go figure. I don't know how I even have time to keep up with my own. BUT I saw that ya'll are coming to ttown this weekend! We will be there so we want to see you guys! Call us when ya'll get there! So so excited! Rooollllll Tide!

everythingismeowsome said...

I LOVE DESIGNING WOMEN!
Remember the one at the pageant when Julia went off on that beauty queen. "My sister wasn't any Miss Georgia. She was THE Miss Georgia." Love me some Julia Sugarbaker!!!
And I have to know if Ben puked....and where. You can write a haiku about it.

Karen said...

I admit, I am a Golden Girls fan, but I love Designing Women too! That's pretty much all I watched in college b/c some channel would run about two hours of GG and then two hours of DW - it was great (especially for avoiding what I really needed to be doing!)

Beth said...

I love Designing Women! And I think I need DVR. Then I might actually get to watch something on TV but then really I probably would be blogging anyway:) Love to read yours!

Sarah said...

Just wanted to let you know that I dropped by your blog today. I am a social worker too!