Thursday, January 8, 2009

2008: A Year in Review

2008 was a great year for our family! I thought I would recap the high points. Month by month, this is how our year played out....

January is when Jack got to enjoy all the toys he got for Christmas. He loved his red wagon and his tricycle. Plus, I just think he looks cute in his cold weather clothes!
We also went to our cousin Leslie's 4th birthday party.

February brought sickness. We had ear infection after ear infection and we were TIRED of it!


March is cold weather and last year, cold weather meant more ear infection. No fun at all and this month, we got ear tubes!! I have to tell you, that kid was the cutest thing ever in the hospital gown with the little bears on it!! I hated to see him be in the hospital for anything, but cute is cute. The surgery went off great (we recommend Dr. Gannon in Dothan) and Jack has done much better since then. Only one ear infection to date!


April came and Jack turned 1! We had a Candyland birthday party and I'm proud to say that I made his first birthday cake. I was worried about how it would taste b/c I'm not Betty Crocker, but my mom said, "Lori, nobody is going to eat that cake with all that awful candy on it anyway - just make it look good." So, I tried... and amazingly some people DID eat it!


We had a fun party with lots of family and friends! Jack got a sandbox and an Adirondack chair from Mommy and Daddy.

Easter also came in April. A great time of celebration and Jack ceretainly looked handsome in his Easter clothes.

Jack's Easter basket!

May brings mission trips! My dad, Uncle Tractor (aka Uncle Charles), and Uncle Jay Jay (aka Jason) all went on a mission trip to Nicaragua with a group of 12 from our church. They were going to build a church and do some other construction work. Everyone had a great experience and it was a wonderful time of testimony when they came home!
Uncle Tractor and Grandaddy brought Jack home shirts from Nicaragua! Aren't they adorable?!
June was easily the most hectic and busiest month of our year! I went on a misson trip to Ecuador. That was a fantastic experience that I cannot wait to do again. My heart is leaning towards the Ukraine for my next mission trip but I'll wait and let God lead me somewhere. It is amazing how obeying God in this way brought so many blessings to me. You're trying to reach out to others and it feels as though God is pouring His love out to you! We had a group of five women from Hopewell along with two men from other churches in the area make up our mission team.

Our mission team: Jan Gager, me, Heather Cross, Billy Barnes, Eugene Meadows, Carrie Fore, and Jennifer Luckey
It was wonderful to get a glimpse of God in His creation there. This is one of the many volcanoes in Ecuador.

In June, we also sold our house and had to move. We loved our little house and have so many wonderful memories there. My biggest life changes occurred in that house. It's where Ben and I first lived and where we brought Jack home. It was sad for me, but just part of our journey I guess!

Vacation Bible School came at the end of June. As one of the directors, this can be kind of hectic as well, but we have so many wonderul people in our church who help in this ministry, it came together wonderfully and we had a GREAT time!


July holds one of our favorite holidays. It's a favorite for many reasons; what it stands for, the weather, fireworks, swimming and boats, but mainly, BEN IS HOME FOR IT!! We really enjoy July 4th and always have a great time. We spent the day at Ben's parents this year and I ended the day with a virus, but before that, it was a blast! HA

August ALWAYS means the beach for our family! We love beach trips and actually spend most of the summer down there. Day trips, weekend trips, week long trips, you name it and we're in!! Here are some of our photos from this summer.



They also started building our house this month. I've shown some pictures of the house in progress. Here is an update - they've completed the vinyl and brick and are working on some inside walls now.


September gave us a new family friend and then took her away. We had decided to get a dog for Jack and I wanted a St. Bernard. We were able to get one, but she got sick soon after we brought her home and we had to put her down. Her name was Abby and we enjoyed her for a short while. It was very sad and we've decided "no more dogs" for a while b/c Mommy can't handle the heartbreak!

October brought the fair and the Fall Festival! Jack enjoyed both immensely! Our litte girafe was cute as ever!


November means football for our family just as it does for many of you. This is the month for the BIG GAME! It went well for us this year and we enjoyed the season (like lots of Alabama fans) better than we have in several years. For Ben and me, this was a really good year b/c this is the first Iron Bowl win since we've been together. Wow! That's sounds awful!! HA ROLL TIDE!


December always brings Christmas! This was our first one with Jack really understanding what was going on. It was a great time and even though Ben wasn't home on the actual day, we were able to enjoy it together as a family and really meditate on what Christ did for us!

So, with a big new year's kiss.....

...from our family to yours, we wish you all a very Happy New Year!!

12 comments:

Carrie said...

What a wonderful year! I can not believe how much Jack has changed this year! You have so many good memories from 2008, and so do I, many involving you and your family. I am looking forward to lots more fun memories this year!

Tina K Rogers said...

This was a great idea.
Enjoyed viewing Mr. Jack over 2008!

Christy said...

What a great post! Isn't it amazing how much they change is just one year! I still see it in Gracie even though she is older now.

Heather said...

Jack is a cutie, and his hair reminds me so much of Aiden's.

The Wilson's said...

You did a good job putting that together. I enjoyed the pictures and the story. Jack has changed alot and looks so handsome. I agree with you on the ear tube thing. Emily had tubes put in last Feb. and we haven't had an ear infection since. PRAISE THE LORD FOR THAT!!!

Karen said...

Wonderful "Year in Review"! I hope you do get to go to Ukraine. It is wonderful. I am scheduled to go back in July - this is becoming a yearly tradition now. I have always been more drawn to Europe than Central/South America, but I guess God gives all of us different burdens for different people groups.

Shonna said...

WOW...what a neat idea!! I totally enjoyed reading your recap of 2008!

Looking forward to next Saturday night:)

Lauren said...

Lori--Looks like you guys had a GREAT year! What a gorgeous family and adorable little boy! ;)

Julie said...

Love the recap! I might have to try that myself when I have a moment in the day. I hope to update my blog ASAP--we'll see if it happens.

John Parker is a beach boy for sure! Just the other day he was asking me if we could go to the beach and play in the sand. :) We'll have to make a play date at the beach with the boys this summer! I'll be able to enjoy and tolerate the heat now the I won't be preggo.

Michelle said...

That was a great post!! I loved seeing all the pictures from BB (aka Before Blogging :) It is amazing how much he has grown and changed throughout the year!! Gets more handsome every day!! Sounds like you had a great 2008 and I hope your 2009 is even better!!

Lynn Castleberry said...

Wow, that took a lot of time! What an awesome idea though! Loved the first few pics, that little lip poked out is precious. Who is the little girl with Jack at the top? Great post!

Dawn said...

yeah, I was right, it's time for a brother or sister! Jack is growing sooo fast!! He's such a cutie!!