Monday, January 19, 2009

The Artist In My House

So, I saw this animal art in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog that I thought would be cute in Jack's playroom when we move into the house. My husband has always been able to look at a picture and draw it so I thought, "If he can draw it, surely he can paint it." He said he would give it a shot and I wanted to share with all of you the finished product.

This is the picture in the catalog...

And a closer one of the tiger...


Here is Ben's artwork...

I know... it's really close right?! I was very impressed and had to brag on my husband a little bit. I'm sure several of you arty people could do this, but it is far beyond me. Now, he only has a giraffe and a dog to go! I told him he shouldn't have done it so well b/c now I'm going to want him to do all kinds of art for me!!

We decided to make it a family fun day since I was home from work and Jack and I painted too.
This is mine...

It's a sad little piece isn't it? I do NOT profess to be an artist and there's a VERY good chance this piece of art will not find a place on my walls!

Here is Jack's piece...

He's a little more abstract than Ben and me!
So, who needs Pottery Barn? I have Ben Foreman originals!!

14 comments:

Julie said...

Ben did a great job! Isn't it better than spending the extra dough for a picture that an unknown artist from PB did--I do! And, YOU SHOULD find a place on the wall for the piece that you created!! All of those would look great in the playroom.

Shonna said...

LOVE them! I am very impressed with Ben...as you have seen, Jamey's "artwork" consists of shooting four-legged animals and hanging their heads on our walls!!!

We hope Ben has a safe trip back to work and we will see him next time:)

Karen said...

Wow! I am totally impressed. My art skills don't go beyond stick people. Your painting looks good too so I think you should find a place for it. As for Jack's painting - definately frame it - when he is the next Picasso, it'll be worth millions!

Heather said...

Wow, he did a great job!!!! My husband can draw also, but for me I have no art skills. Yours is pretty also and Jacks is a masterpiece.

The Wilson's said...

Ben did a good job with his tiger painting. I also like the one of Jack's name it is cute too! You could have painted Jack's room and put it on his door.

Christy said...

Ben did a great job! Can't wait to see the others. My dad built a dollhouse bookshelf for Gracie when she was born by looking at a picture in PB magazine. It's amazing how great it looks!

Anonymous said...

Now I know who to call when I need something painted! Ben did such a good job, I can't wait to see the giraffe and dog he'll be doing. Lori you did a great job on Jack's name, you need to hang it in the playroom and I know you'll be hanging Jack's artwork - that one was precious! See you soon!

Christi said...

WOW!!! I can't wait to see how the other two turn out!

Dave and Mandi said...

Great work Ben! My brother, John, is a talented artist,and I make him paint/draw/sketch stuff for me all the time. I bet Jack's playroom will be his favorite room in the new house!

Thanks for sharing the sweet compliment with me. Jennifer is so precious!

Lynn Castleberry said...

Wow! Can't wait to see the other two. I wish I could do that; I can't even draw a straight line. Hehe!!

The Beck's said...

My favorite is Jack's! I have Adam and Blake's handprints on their wall. Maybe that can be another project. You and Ben both did a great job.

By the way, this is my first comment. Maybe I can do more of these.

Dawn said...

I'm loving the art work and the family project. I too am not an artist and admire anyone with the gift. My mother certainly has it but didn't pass it on to me! I did get a little artisy flare with the musical side but that is it! I can't draw a stick man!

Lauren said...

These are awesome! Good idea, Lori :)

Julie said...

Just wanted to tell you that I appreciate you lifting my little Sawyer up in prayer this past week. It was definitely felt and he is doing remarkably well! I plan on keeping him home a few more days this week before sending him back to GA--unless he makes a turn for the worse. Keep praying!!

One more thing: I went online @ ASF today and got Jeremy and myself tickets to see "Bear Country." I'm super excited and can't wait to see it! My mother, nanny, and aunt went to see it last night and absolutely loved it--like y'all did. We are going Saturday, Feb. 21 @7:30. I was hoping to go on V-Day weekend but they were sold out. Come see us sometime! :)