Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whatnot Wednesday

EveryDaytheWonderfulHappens

-The predominant thing on my mind today is the crazy weather we've got coming our way. They are saying tornados, hail storms and the like. So, now I'm wondering if I am going to have time to get to the library in time to get a new book because you know the real tragedy would be me not having a book to read in the storm.

-I had a man tell me the other day that if I had asked Jack's pediatrician to split up his immunizations or if I hadn't given them to him at all, he wouldn't have asperger's. I get that there is a theory that immunizations cause autism and the like and I'm not completely sure yet where I stand on it, but it really matters not. What was really strange about the conversation was that it seemed he thought he was being helpful to me with this information. Unfortunately, I don't have a time machine, but maybe he legitimately thought I did. Who knows? (Honestly, Jack's so cool, I'm not sure I would use the time machine if I did have one:)

-For Jack's 4th birthday, Ben and I sweetly gave him.... a ten hour car ride. That's right - we are fantasticly loving and generous parents so we drove him all the way home from Houston on his birthday. He's such a great kid that he really thought this was a real treat! He kept saying, "We're not at Jack's house yet!!" like this was the most exciting thing - not getting home. Like I said, he's really cool.

-Because we were driving 10 hours on his birthday, we got birthday "surprises" at every stop along the way, i.e. ice cream, a book, etc. If you read this post, then you're already aware that my child has a unique fascination with advertisements and specifically beer commercials. He's just over the moon about beer:) Please don't judge me as a parent, but on the way home I found some root beer in the glass bottles. I got him some for a birthday surprise and he has been talking about his "birthday beer" since then. I think he liked it as much as his swingset from his grandparents.

-I'm in a small group right now that is studying the book Radical by David Platt. Everybody I've heard from that read the book or took the small group in my church LOVED it and just went on and on about how great it was. I gotta tell you though, I'm about to start chapter 3 and it scares me to keep reading. Seriously... and I'm a little concerned that I may be the only one with that reaction.

-Speaking of books, I'm up to 20 on my list. I'm going to update the list on the blog soon. I realize that I'm still not going to make it to 100 in a year and have set that pipe dream aside but it did help the cause that there are a few movies coming out soon that were based on a book. I can't watch a movie before I read the book (if I know there is a book). Literally, I can't do it - I've tried.

-I'm attending a training Friday and Saturday on autism. I have to attend trainings all the time to get continuing education units for my social work license, but this one, I'm actually excited about. Unfortunately, several of the speakers have written books and I haven't read any of them so I assume the having to read the book before the movie doesn't translate to other areas.

That's about it. All these whatnots seem very boring looking back on them. But really, if my biggest thought is getting to the library before it closes, how much could you really expect?

8 comments:

Megan said...

So glad you were able to make the roadtrip fun for Jack! Good for you for your efforts :)

Hoping your weather isn't too bad!!

Emily :) said...

Lori, hope y'all are doing okay in the weather!

Jack really is so cool. I love the "birthday beer". We have to make that a tradition here at the parsonage. :)

I feel the same way about reading books before watching a movie. I suppose you know that after I kept you up until 1:00 in the morning to read a book before we watched the movie. :)

everythingismeowsome said...

That man needs to mind his own business!! And yes, I have to read books before seeing the movie!!!

Karen said...

Love the "birthday beer" and I think you are a totally cool parent.

I'm so with you on the movie/book thing.

No, you are not the only one scared to read Radical. It is scary...nearly everyone I've talked to felt the same way - I know I did.

Tina K Rogers said...

Great What Not Wednesday.... I enjoyed reading it!! Jack obsession with beer is totally cracking me up. I ofcourse don't think your a bad mommy. But I'm not against drinking beer either. My child pretends to offer beer to her friends at church. thankfully, I go to a church where that's not a totally bad thing so the other parents dont think we're awful! He and Ivy would get a long great! lol...
Just to let you know my view on the Radical book..... Ok, I only saw clips out of Beth's blog so I've not read it. But what I did read actually turned me off to it. Perhaps I'm not where I need to be on my Christian stance or perhaps I have a brain that causes me to think outside of the box and have an opinion. Still working on which one that may possibly be. It actually may be a mixture of both. Good luck to you as you read the book and I only hope it gets better for you. I'm ready for our next Thursday night visit!!!

Lynn Castleberry said...

I so love reading your blog. The insight you have into stuff is very interesting to me. You are a real person with real feelings (not someone that is super judgmental) and I like that.

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

I did not know that about shots, I always double up I might have to re-think that. But I hope the storm didnt hit to hard where you are at.

Write it in Lipstick

Melanie said...

Water for Elephants is a must-read, although I get mixed reviews about the movie. The book is big and I read it in 2 or 3 days - with my crazy kids around. It was the best book I've read in a while, and I'm a book person!