Monday, August 15, 2011

If You Break Your Leg...

...you're going to work anyway.

Those were the words I said as my husband decided to play basketball with two friends. At the age of 30. In flip flops. At night. With no lights. I, being the responsible adult that I am was sitting with two girlfriends. In a chair. Watching my child play with his cousin, Brannon. Running my mouth. :)

It was about two hours later that Ben's uncle said, "We've got a problem. Ben hurt his ankle." I honestly thought he was kidding due to my earlier statement and then Ben came hobbling over with an ankle the size of a grapefruit.

Don't believe me?? Check this out.

Maybe the size of an orange, but you get my point.

My husband says I'm the most unsympathetic person in the world and that may be true, but all I was thinking is, "I don't have time for this - not this week!" and "He's not going to be able to go back to work."

I know - totally loving and concerned:) After a trip to the ER, we have been told that it's just a really bad sprain (although SEVERAL self-proclaimed doctors have found that difficult to believe). Ben is on crutches for a few weeks. He should be able to go back to work on time. But, I didn't really have time for this:)

So, it was going to be a crazy week anyway and it's just been a little crazier than crazy. Par for the course around here. I gave a shower for my cousin on Sunday which meant deep cleaning my house on Saturday... with a LOT of help from my Mom and Dad. Then, about 50 people in my house on Sunday and a crippled husband. But it was a nice time and I have found that the world will not fall down around me if things don't go exactly according to plan and have been able to remain somewhat sane throughout all the crazy around me:)

Helping with the positive attitude is the fact that Jack started his new preschool today. He did GREAT! I've known his teacher forever, but Jack didn't know her. She called me Sunday and left me a message that said, "You have such a precious child. I'm looking forward to this year with him. Thank you so much for entrusting your child to me this year!" Oh yes, W.E. H.E.A.R.T. H.E.R!!! She met us at the car this morning and Jack went right inside with her.

She said he had a good day. Jack's not much of a talker about his day. He just doesn't care to give that information to anyone. After much questioning, he did finally say that he played the bongos at school. I thought that sounded fun until he told me that Ms. Helen told him to stop. I'm assuming that wasn't an approved activity. Then, he told me that he sat up on his chair when he was supposed to be sitting on the floor and she told him to get down. And he said he ate his snack. Sounds like a good day to me:)

Anyway, after all the crazy, it's been a good week. Good things have happened. I got to spend sweet time with old friends this week. My child did better than we ever hoped for at school today. My house got cleaned really well. Good things happened. And while I'll watch what I say from now on, I have learned that if you break your leg.... life goes on and I like my crazy life.

7 comments:

Emily :) said...

It always happens when you just don't have time for crazy to happen, doesn't it??? Well, I'm glad Jack had such a great day and that you have a clean house. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have bring in the hoarders crew to get my house in order!

Praying this week is full of good things!

everythingismeowsome said...

I'm SO happy to hear that Jack is doing well at his new preschool--I understand what a huge worry that was for you! Ben's ankle is totally freaking me out, and I understand. I'm not super-sympathetic about those kinds of things, either!!!!

Lauran said...

I laughed out loud at your response to Ben's injury because Richard ate a leftover subway sandwich last night (neither of us could remember how old it was) and I said, "IF YOU GET FOOD POISONED BY THAT NASTY SANDWICH, I'M NOT CLEANING UP YOUR THROW-UP!" See, I am also a very sympathetic wife. ;)

I'm tickled that Jack is doing so great at preschool. Lots of prayers for his continued happiness & success. : )

Karen said...

Yay! for a great pre-school day - praying the year goes super well. So sorry about Ben's ankle :( hope he is better soon.

Michele said...

New meaning to eat your words! So sorry about your husband's ankle. My husband and I both love playing basketball and I've had my fair share of sprained ankles but never that bad. My husband also thinks I'm unsympathetic, but I tell him it's because he gets sick at the wrong times, like after I had a c-section and came home from the hospital--not good timing!
So glad your little guy adjusted well to school. That's such a big deal.
I'm learning to live by the saying "Blessed are the flexible for they won't get bent out of shape" not easy, but I'm learning :)

Beth said...

OMG! I've never in my life seen such an ankle:) That is crazy! Bless his heart! John is much more sympathetic to me when I'm sick than I am of him. It usually makes me feel really bad.....after I've told him "you'll never get better if you don't stop mopeing (sp?) around! Anyway, crazy is totally us right now! I can feel your pain! Hang in there!

Pam said...

I am cracking up (but only because I know he is OK)... I can totally hear myself saying something like that. I am so unsympathetic (especially when I need to be saying "I told you so!")