Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Remembering Romeo and a Movie Review

My mother and I went to the movies last night to see Marley and Me starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston. I've been looking forward to it b/c I've read the book (b/c I read all books HA) and I like both the actors a lot, so I talked mother into going with me before Ben comes home. If you've ever had a dog living in your house or a baby that didn't sleep at night, you need to see this movie. I have actually had both.



Ben and I had a French Bulldog named Romeo (Romey) for the first three years of our marriage. We drove all the way to the Texas/Oklahoma line to get this dog, b/c if we were going to have one, this was the only one my husband wanted! We LOVED him and he was our first baby. He was not very well behaved but he loved us FULL FORCE! He was great with Jack too. Jack could pull on him and bite him or whatever and Romey would just lick him to death. He also had this way about him. We could never trust him alone in the house. Even in the utility room, he would destroy SOMETHING. We would think we had dog proofed the room and come home to find the door torn up. I would be soooo frustrated with him, but he would look at me with those sad eyes and you just knew he wanted you to be happy with him! That was always the way when he did something wrong. It was SO hard to discipline him and be mad at him.


We pampered that dog!! The vet knew us WELL!! Romey had to have special food, special medicine, special everything!! He cost us about the same thing as our child does and since we have medical insurance for our child, maybe a little more. Let me just say that the vet was talking to us about getting pet insurance for him! And since (as far as we or the vet knew) he was the only Frenchie in town, everyone knew Romey too! The UPS guy would say to the vet, "I saw the weirdest looking dog today. His ears stuck straight up." and the vet would say, "Oh, that's Romey!" Everyone who met him loved him. We actually had neighbors that would come to the house just to play with Romey. We would answer the door and they would say, "We're here to visit Romey." So, they would keep him outside with them for a while and then let him back in the house. He was just that kind of dog. Far from perfect and have I mentioned he behaved horribly?! But you just had to love him, he was too sweet and funny not to!



Romey had many unique characteristics and I won't bore you with all of them. I'll just say that he was my favorite dog EVER and always will be. Unfortunately, Ben and I made the decision to give him away b/c he got very depressed after Jack was born and started losing weight and just wasn't himself, so we contacted the French Bulldog Rescue Network and drove him to Auburn to a foster family until they could place him with a family that could better meet his needs. (Don't worry, the family was from Atlanta, they just met us in Auburn, we wouldn't leave him THERE! HA) It was a horrible week for me. I just never knew how attached you could become to an animal, but it happened with us.



Anyway, Romey is very similar to Marley in the movie. He was NEVER the easiest dog but I really believe he helped to prepare us for Jack (who continues to not be the easiest child HA)! That's okay, though, I think people and dogs are much more interesting when they don't act just the way we think they should. It could be that I think that to keep from going insane while I raise my son, but we change our thinking to survive sometimes, right?! I will say that as much as I loved Romey and enjoyed our time with him, there will never be another dog who lives in my house!! Too much work, but that's okay too b/c it justs makes Romey that much more special!



So, I recommend the movie to anyone, espcially dog lovers. WARNING: If you haven't read the book, expect a somewhat sad ending!! If you watch you can get a small glimpse into our life with Romey. I've posted the few pictures that I had available to me right now of our first baby. We have hundreds of them but these were the only ones I could get my hands on right now!


As a puppy, when we brought him home.

He LOVED Hannah Grace and all children really.

The ears went up when he was about six months old and they never came down again!

He's just distinguished looking I think!

Happy New Year from the Foremans!


10 comments:

Dave and Mandi said...

I enjoyed reading this post Lori! Dave bought Marley and Me on Amazon.com 2 years ago after his lab Gunner died. I read it in about 2 days, but Dave never got around to it. I bought him the book on CD just before Christmas and we listened to it together while we were out shopping.
We kept saying how we knew just how John and Jenny felt. We can't wait to get moved into our new house so our puppies can come to live with us again!!

Julie said...

I remember receiving a Christmas card from you and Ben with Romey's picture displayed ever so cutely!!

I, for one, am not an "indoor pet" person. Don't get me wrong-I do love dogs(not cats-sorry cat lovers), but prefer them outside. It's probably largely due to the fact that I've always had an 'outside' dog growing up. {My mother had her hands full with the four of us kiddos that she didn't need something else to care of inside the home!!} :) Cute pics of Romey!! I bet you do miss him!!
Happy New Year!!

Lynn Castleberry said...

I hate you had to give him away but understand totally. Our pikegnese (sp?) got ran over about a year and a half ago and after I got over that ordeal swore I would never have another inside dog (think I told this in a post, anyway, I ate those words)! I definitely should have stuck to that. Don't get me wrong, I love C.C. but inside pets are just work. To top it off, Jason thinks Madison might have a pet allergy. She has a constant runny nose and cough. That went away after J.J. died but has now returned. Need to get her tested I guess. I want to see that movie too.

Christy said...

What a great post! And what an interesting looking dog!! I too am not an inside dog person. We have a cat, but he can pretty much take care of himself. I don't have the time or the energy to take care of another thing!!

Reagan said...

Lori, he looks like such a great little friend! I definitely feel your pain. I had a very sweet dog (Oscar) that passed away. I still get really sad about it sometimes. Now we have his little sister Emmy. She is adjusting to life with a baby, but so far so good. Good to know that the movie has a sad ending because I have not read the book and I would probably be sobbing in the movie theater if you hadn't told me! Illy

Carrie said...

I don't know if I want to watch the movie! You know me. . . It will probably remind me of Pup, and I am still sad about him! (Though it has been since August 2006. He died on my special day did you know that? I also got him for Valentine's Day in 1994. I guess he was just a hloiday dog.) Pics. of Romey made me miss him. You know we loved him. I remember when you told me you were giving him away, I cried all night. (Did you know that?) Anyway, I do think it was a good decision for you all. You seem less stressed, and I am sure he is very happy. You will always have sweet memories and pics. And if you ever need a dog fix, take Tip for a little bit. Then you will immediately remember why you don't have him anymore.HAHA (JK. . . I love my dogs even though they are so much work, and you know my life would not be the same without them.)

The Wilson's said...

I am sorry that you couldn't keep Romey. How sad! It is too bad things didn't work out better and you be able to keep him. I don't know if I could be that strong. Thank you for the heart felt story, although it is heart breaking to me. We have a jack russell who wanted to chew up everything and I know what you mean about disciplining them. I don't think I could give Roxy up for anything.

Shonna said...

Promise you and Jack (and Carrie) will be back for another visit soon...we enjoyed it sooo much!!

Dave and Mandi said...

It was definitely different from the book. All the way home Dave and I talked about what parts they left out. I hate that they left out showing Marley's father, but I liked how Jenny gave him her necklace at the end. Even though the book was definitely better, it's definitely going to be one we buy on DVD!

Dawn said...

I'm just as attached to my two "babies" as well. I agree they are a lot of work when they live inside but worth it to me! I enjoyed the post of precious memories!