About that time, we realized that the Kansas City Chiefs had several former Bama players on their roster this year, including Javier Arenas (my favorite Bama player from last year). We had never been to Kansas City and we love to go to cities where we've never been so we decided to take a quick trip and go to a Chiefs game while we were there. We left early, early, way too early Friday morning (like 3:00 a.m. early) to get to the airport by 5:00. We made it to Kansas City by noon that afternoon. We had such a great trip. The people were friendly; the city was so very clean; there were lots of neat things to do; and we just really had some relaxing and fun days together!
We stayed downtown right close to the "Power and Light" District. This is a really neat area with lots of resturants, theatres, art galleries, and other cool things. We could walk everywhere we needed to go. I was just amazed by how CLEAN this city was!!


The above picture is a bar set up in the Power and Light District downtown. There are pubs and resturants surronding it. They have concerts out here and on the other side is a HUGE bigscreen tv where they were playing football games on Saturday. It's empty right now but it picked up a lot throughout the weekend.

Downtown Kansas City

This is Ben and I at the AMC theatre downtown. If you know us, you know we are movie people. Well, here we got to recline while we watched a movie and they bring you dinner and drinks all night. It was wonderful. I really wanted to go to a matinee on Sunday just to take a little nap, it was so nice. We knew when we walked in here that this was our kind of city:)

You can tell we are a little worn out in this picture. This was on Saturday night outside our hotel - we had just finished watching the Alabama game. We are always worn out after a Bama game but even more so b/c we had walked about 30 miles trying to FIND the Bama game on tv. We found somewhere to watch the LSU/Auburn game earlier in the day, but Alabama played at 6:00 that night. Unfortunately, so did Missouri and Oklahoma. If you follow college football, you know that Oklahoma was ranked #1 and this was two unbeaten teams playing. Well, we are in Kansas City, MISSIOURI so you can imagine the game that EVERYONE had on tv. We FINALLY found somewhere with multiple tvs and they gave us one in the back to watch Bama but we had walked all over that city looking for a tv. They were even nice to us about pulling for Bama. Of course, Missouri was in the process of beating the #1 team in the nation so they would have been nice to anyone at that point I think:) Bottom line: we watched the Bama game and they won so crisis averted!!

Here we are at the Plaza in Kansas City. This area just consists of about a 3-4 block radius of nothing but shops. My kind of shops too - they had Pottery Barn, J. Crew, Anthropologie... I could go on. If I ever win a lot of money somehow, I'm just going to hop on a flight and ask the cabbie to drop me off here. I think I could live for a few days in this place - even without food or sleep - just a few lattes here and there:) I also wanted to put this picture in here to show Emily and Karen that I did get my iced lattes every day. They know what a deal this is for me after our trip to Savannah a few weeks ago. Girls, we had been in KC for about 20 minutes and not a block away from our hotel was..... "Latte Land" - this is another reason I knew I was going to like this city:)
Sunday, we watched the Chiefs play the Jacksonville Jaguars. It was neat b/c we got a really good price on tickets: we were on the 15 yard line just 9 rows from the field. See, we bought tickets at the beginning of the season before anybody knew the Chiefs were going to be good. We were just wanting to see our old Bama guys play. Well, all of a sudden the Chiefs are 6-1 and we have some really great seats to watch a really great team play!! It was so much fun... the fans around us were great. We had them saying "Rammer Jammer" by the end of the game. The stadium was very nice and the Chiefs pulled out a great win!

This is Ben beside a tribute to his all time favorite football player, Derrick Thomas. He played for Alabama and was an amazing player for the Chiefs for about 10 years until he was killed in a car accident.


Former Bama players: Javier Arenas and Wallace Gilberry

Arenas #21 on a kick off return: The Chiefs fans around us couldn't believe how much we knew about him, but they don't understand how GREAT he was for Alabama last year. Well, they didn't understand - they are aware of it now:)

This is Arenas again - notice the bright pink gloves. There was pink everywhere due to cancer awareness month. It went well with the red, don't you think?

It was a great trip and we have a fantastic time. We were sooooo happy to see Jack when we got home though. We got him a Chiefs book and I recorded the fans doing the "chant" during the game. Jack loves it and has been saying "Let's Go Chiefs!" since we got home. I think the Foreman family has finally found a pro team to pull for. I'm sure everyone around us is thrilled b/c just what my family needed is another football team to cheer for:)
ROLL TIDE!! and GO CHIEFS!!


This is Ben beside a tribute to his all time favorite football player, Derrick Thomas. He played for Alabama and was an amazing player for the Chiefs for about 10 years until he was killed in a car accident.


Former Bama players: Javier Arenas and Wallace Gilberry

Arenas #21 on a kick off return: The Chiefs fans around us couldn't believe how much we knew about him, but they don't understand how GREAT he was for Alabama last year. Well, they didn't understand - they are aware of it now:)

This is Arenas again - notice the bright pink gloves. There was pink everywhere due to cancer awareness month. It went well with the red, don't you think?

It was a great trip and we have a fantastic time. We were sooooo happy to see Jack when we got home though. We got him a Chiefs book and I recorded the fans doing the "chant" during the game. Jack loves it and has been saying "Let's Go Chiefs!" since we got home. I think the Foreman family has finally found a pro team to pull for. I'm sure everyone around us is thrilled b/c just what my family needed is another football team to cheer for:)
ROLL TIDE!! and GO CHIEFS!!
3 comments:
So glad you had fun. I noticed that latte picture right away. :) Sounds like a great city. I would have never thought of visiting there, but now I want to go just to go to that movie theatre!
WOW! Looks like an amazing time!! :)
Oh what fun! Great pics :)
Post a Comment