It's been a few weeks since I linked up so you would think that I have TONS of useless information in my head. I do, but I'm so tired this week that I'm not sure if I can get even one of the thoughts written in coherent language, but I'm gonna try.
It's pretty common to see information on bullying when you are researching any kind of autism. Autistic and Asperger's children are normally targets for bullying. I've been a little concerned about that with Jack starting school next year. Last week, he attended art camp and when my Dad got there to pick him up, he saw another little boy ACCIDENTALLY bump into Jack and make him fall down. The little boy didn't mean to do it and wasn't even aware that he did it. After the incident that he wasn't even aware of, he went and sat down. Jack calmly got up and walked over to him and got right in his face and with hands up like a bear, screamed "ROAR!" Scared the poor child to death!! This week he's in swimming lessons and yesterday, his teacher informed me that he had to sit out of the pool b/c another child splashed him in the face and Jack threw a ring at him and busted his lip. So, I'm still worried about bullying, but in a completely opposite way than before.
Speaking of Jack, his new "obsession" is Ben's collection of horror movies. Ben loves scary movies - even the ridiculous ones with little to no plot. Obviously, Jack can't watch them (and doesn't want to) but he has found their cabinet and he LOVES to look at the DVD covers and figure out their rating. This one is "rated to R" and this one is "rated to PG-13" and so on.... My aunt had a picture of dinosaurs Sunday and she asked Jack to tell her all the dinosaurs names. He said, "This one's name is "Resident Evil" and this one is "No Country for Old Men" and this one is "My Bloody Valentine" and this is "Saw 2" etc.... He went on like that for a LONG while! All of you can just stop campaigning for parents of the year now. Clearly, Ben and I have that award all wrapped up:)
Another movie character that Jack is pretty crazy over is Harry Potter. I know there's this big debate about whether Christians should watch Harry Potter and I have no idea where I come down in all that - mainly, because I haven't read the books. I think I would come down on the fact that it's fiction so what's the big deal? I don't believe in talking cars or that toys come to life but we have certainly seen those 100,000 times each. Regardless, Jack hasn't seen the movies or read the books due to his age, but he saw the books at Barnes and Noble several years ago and he's been nuts for him ever sense. He really thinks of him as a friend in his life too. We were headed to the theater to see "Rio" the other night and Jack said, "Mom, I wonder if Harry's going to be there tonight?"
I'm helping with the worship rally at VBS this year. Somehow before I was really aware of it, I ended up having to dress up as "PandaMania Penelope" (a panda bear) for a short skit every night. This is so far outside my personality, it's really incredible - not only that I'm doing it but that anyone would want me to do it. I don't even play pretend with my son. I literally tell children "I don't do pretend." Still, the kids are going around calling me Penelope throughout the night so I guess that's enough to consider it a success, right?
The Dallas Mavericks won the NBA playoffs and I was happy. My husband was pulling for the Miami Heat in the finals so we were pulling against each other. You get that right - I won and he lost - those are important facts in our family! We normally enjoy the basketball playoffs, but we don't tend to get so emotionally invested like we do in football. That has changed with us pulling against each other. I almost physically assaulted him over a game before he went back to work. We've always said that we couldn't have married each other if we weren't both Alabama fans; after these playoffs, I think we've proven that to be true:)
I need to find some edible bamboo sprouts. Does anybody have any suggestions? This is actually a legitimate question, but I'm guessing that my quest to find them this weekend could end up in my next batch of Whatnot Wednesdays:)

10 comments:
Edible bamboo sprouts....is that for Pandamania??
I think it's hilarious that Jack thinks of Harry Potter as his friend. he has a great imagination!
jack and i would BOTH go nuts if harry potter showed up at the movie theatre! i love that!
and i am cracking up at the naming of dinosaurs after horror movies. awesome.
p.s. if you care at all, i love Jesus, but i'm a big harry potter fan, too. ultimately, i think the story is about the fight for good over evil and it's a darn good story!!!
You've got me cracking up today! I guess I wouldn't worry about bulling, looks like Jack can take care of himself! :) Get 'em bear!
sooo glad you made a post. this one had me laughing out loud. i dont do that often while reading! That Jack! Love him. Dont even know him well, but i love him! I had this kiddo when i worked in florida that would go around and hiss at anyone that would make him upset. actually ivy has fallen into this too! sometimes when she gets mad at us she acts like a cat and begins hissing while throwing up her "paws". lol. so dont let jack's unusual behavior seem to unusual to you. at least he's not whining. that gets under my skin worst of all. have a great day lori and glad you're back up to posting!
I so hate I am missing you as Penelope!! Jack is so awesome and I love reading about what he has come up with next. Sounds like he is going to keep you all laughing for years!! :)
It's so funny the things that kids get themselves interested in! Too funny about all the horror movie titles/names!
Ummm, for bamboo, I'd recommend checking an Asian or Mexican grocery store / market in your area if you have one.
That "Jack" cracks me up! What an AWESOME child our Lord has blessed you with! Naming the dino's after horror movies?! That's so original! I bet he keeps your mind spinning! And I can relate as far as the "competition" factor with the better-half! Ours currently is "running". He consistently beat me in 5k races (we average one every two months) until one recently in April. I threw him a mock salute as I sailed past him about three-tenths of a mile from the Finish line: a moment I'll NEVER forget! ;) Have been abset from the bloggy world awhile myself. Good to be back. And good to chat with you again, Lori :)
Pictures please! (especially of you as Penelope) :)
Oh my, you are too funny! I love your wit.
I think it's great that Jack stands up for himself, but I understand your concern. We have similar issues with my oldest son. He growled at kids all through preschool. He was always a dinosaur when he was upset or anxious about something.
Good for you for doing the Panda thing. It's good to stretch ourselves. I bet the kids love it :)
Have a great weekend!
You seriously haven't read the Harry Potter books? You really should, they really are quite good. As for whether they're appropriate, and maybe I'm not one to talk since I'm Jewish, but it might make you feel better to know that in books the wizards actually celebrate Christmas every year.
Post a Comment