Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Whatnot Wednesday

EveryDaytheWonderfulHappens
I totally had this typed Tuesday night and FORGOT to post is yesterday. I'm still calling it Whatnot Wednesday as a defense against my forgetful brain!!

We're planning another trip to Disney (YAY!) this November. Jack heard me making the reservations on the phone last night. He went in his room, picked out clothes, PUT THEM ON (something he has NEVER done) and said, "I'm ready to go to Disney!" It's amazing what motivation can do. Too bad is was 9:00 p.m. and about 4 months too early. To say he was pretty bummed when he realized bedtime was the plan instead would be putting it mildly!

I've been able to communicate with some of my translators through facebook since I returned from Haiti. I completely bombed when they tried to write me in Haitian Creole. They were using words that I'm supposed to "know." Edrick wrote, "Yeah, you're still not good." True friends feel they can be honest, ya know?

In other news, I have ordered the Pinsleur language program for Haitian Creole. Seriously.

Elizabeth and a couple of other friends have started "Words With Friends" games with me. The first time I tried to play, I don't think I was even able to play an actual word. I'm not sure what I did, but I know I didn't do anything good. Apparently, words are not a strong point in English either.

I'm hosting a wedding shower for my cousin this Sunday. That means I had to get started cleaning my house. The bathrooms need scrubbing, the furniture needs dusting, the floors need mopping... you get the idea. So I've started. I put about 4 years worth of pictures in albums this week. It is a job I have been avoiding for about 3 and a half years now. I will literally do anything to get out of mopping.

Some of you know that Jack is NUTSO over "True Grit." He knows he can't watch it because it's PG-13 and "I'm not 13 yet." We were at Walmart earlier in the week to look at the movies as a treat to him. (No toy isle for us!! :) He found John Wayne's "True Grit" and saw that it was rated G. Grand celebration ensued!!

We have a FABULOUS Japanese Steakhouse in our town. It is sooo good. My husband doesn't like it. Not at all. I keep talking him into trying it again and again with me. I just need for him to like it. The sushi is just phenomenal. We went again tonight. He still doesn't like it. I'm getting concerned that this is going to hurt our marriage.

Jack has preschool orientation tonight at Little Friends. I attended preschool there just a "few" years ago. Well, 26 years ago to be exact. Jack wore MY Little Friends shirt I made to HIS Little Friends' orientation. Yes, we're that family:)


5 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

That t-shirt thing is so cool!

How can Ben not like a Japanese steakhouse???? I LOVE sushi, but they have so many other options at a place like that!!

I'm impressed that you're planning to learn Haitian Creole--I am totally intimidated by other languages!

Karen said...

Love the T-shirt & yay! on learning Hatian Creole - I'm so jealous - you have to teach me soon! Personally I can't decide between Russian or Hebrew, but the Russian would probably be more useful. Much like the list of "books to read" I also have a list of "languages to learn" - I know, I'm a dork. :)

Sushi - I'll take Ben's side on this one...

Kelly said...

Lori, when are ya'll going to Disney in November? We will be there the week of Thanksgiving. Also, LOVED the friendship post. My special girl friends are so dear to me too. They are pretty much my extended family :)

Lori said...

yayyy! are you going to disney world or disneyland? so exciting :)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I can't stop laughing over the fact you are worried the dislike over the japanese place will hurt the relationship! It sounded so cute!