Friday, February 26, 2010

Fear and Loathing... and a Swing Dance??

I had my annual social work conference in Orange Beach this week. This is only the second time since Ben and I have been married that he's been home for it. I don't talk a lot about my job (social worker) and the agency I work for (United Methodist Children's Home), but I work with a great group of people and am blessed to have a job that I enjoy (most of the time:). This actually makes me think that I should write a post about my job - maybe soon. Anyway, this is one of the highlights of my year - professionally speaking, so I was thrilled that Ben and Jack got to go with me this year.



I am so proud of myself that I did not try to document every second of this trip by taking pictures. I feel like sometimes I miss the moment b/c I'm too busy capturing the moment on film, but I didn't do that this trip. BUT, I did get the camera out ONE TIME!! The conference is held in a hotel so every day, I would go downstairs to seminars and then come see my guys on my breaks. Sometimes they would venture out places, but the hotel had a pool, arcade (which we insured will be there next year b/c we probably spent more money in there this week than it has made in its lifetime thus far), resturants, and stores so most of time they waited on me to finish up for the day before they went anywhere. Well, I came in one day from a break and this is what Jack was doing:




Yes, that is my two year old (without clothes on) reading, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." I cannot explain this scenario to you!! I wish I had more explanation for you but I don't.

We weren't finished with the fun then though! No, no, not us:) I had a "social gathering" to attend last night and all my great coworkers were there. Well, this year, they rented out one of the hotel lounges for our reception/social/party. So, here come the Foremans: me, Ben, Jack, and of course Dave into the hotel lounge with a live band and bar. I was telling my friend that I am thrilled that my child made it to his first lounge at age two. Glad we squeaked that milestone under the wire before our third birthday for sure!! (For my mother who reads this blog, I would like to state that the previous sentence is SARCASM!!)

Jack had a grand time though - he and Dave sat and watched many "seasoned" people dance and have fun while he drank cranberry juice (a gift from the BARTENDER) and ate ice all night. He even swing danced with me to the very last song of the night! (In all honesty, it was a very mild event and was over at 10 and there were other children there - I think we had the only two year, but still.... :)

So, I would like to offer our assistance to any of you in need. If any of your children are having difficulty growing up too slowly, just send them over to us for a week or so and we can take care of it for you! Our disclaimer: We are not responsible for any moral or ethical issues you have upon their return.

** In light of the nature of this post, I would like to reiterate that we are a family that loves the Lord and wants to give Him glory in all we do!! We only OCCASIONALLY go to lounges (with our child) and read books about drugs!! :-)

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow. Lots of comments so far from people begging you to baby-sit THEIR kid:) Just kidding. Glad you had fun. Looking forward to MANY trips to the beach and elsewhere this summer. (HINT HINT) J and I have already said that we are ready!:)

Karen said...

LOL! I'm reminded of a line from the movie "Sweet Home Alabama"..."You have a baby...in a bar..." :) (and hey, at least you're teaching Jack to like reading...)

Heather said...

You are soo funny.

The Pinsons said...

hummm...I wonder what you would write about your job. I would LOVE to write about it too...we could write a book!!