Monday, April 12, 2010

A Thomas the Train Birthday Bash

For last year's Birthday Carnival Extravaganza, we woke Jack up a little too early, had to change locations at the last minute, and were running around crazy at the last minute so this year...

WE WERE READY!! BEYOND ready for Jack's 3rd birthday party. Adorable train invitations (with Jack's picture in his conductor suit) had been sent.

This AMAZING Thomas cake had been made by Jack's grandmother (aka as Gigi):


Notice Big Al (Alabama mascot for those of you non-Alabamians) in the front corner and Dave (my child's favorite friend who goes everywhere with us) in the back corner - Grandmothers just know how to make everything extra special!!

We had the train and the play table set up.


We had the train cookie decorating table ready to go.

Another of Jack's sweet grandmothers (aka as Nana) made train cookies for all the kids to decorate at the party - yep, we are overrun with sweet, wonderful, caring, loving and generous grandparents!

The cake pops were made - ready to be enjoyed by all (also compliments of Gigi).


The "present corner" was cute - with balloons, Jack's monogrammed chair, and a picture of Jack in his conductor outfit.


The food was hot and delicious. We had:
* Bill and Ben's Buffing and Bashing BBQ - compliments of ANOTHER wonderful grandmother and grandfather (my in-laws - aka as Papa and CeCe) who -fortunately for us- own a chain of BBQ resturants throughout Alabama - everyone eat at Hook's BBQ when you get the chance :-)
* Skarloey's Sweet Sodor Sauce and Molly's Mild Mudding Mix
* Percy's Prized Potato Chips
* Dodge's Delicious Diesel Dip
* Spencer's Strong and Fast Fruit Snacks
* Bertie's Branch Line Brew (Coke)
* Rosie's Really Useful Refreshment (Water)
* Toby's Tough and Fizzy Tram Fuel (Diet Coke)
* Cranky the Crane's Coolers (Juice)


See, everything was ready. We went to bed at midnight the night before the big day feeling great! Jack had seen his cake, he knew the train was coming, he knew there would be presents and he was SO EXCITED!! Then, it happened!! He woke me and Ben up at 3:00 a.m. with the virus - yep, the same one that kept me out of church on Easter and had kept Ben off the golf course the week before - that virus!! I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!!
There was no cancelling or postponing - we had a train, family and friends all coming to our house at 11:00 a.m. and we were going to have to figure it out. Jack still felt awful at party time but had stopped getting sick several hours before. My mother took him to her house next door and he finally made it to his party about 45 minutes before it ended. He was able to ride the train (once) and open his presents, so.... I will say that I am very happy that it seemed the other kids enjoyed the party at least :)
Madison and Caroline helping the birthday boy open his presents:


Jack finally making it on the train (even though he is in CeCe's lap). He's riding with Azland and Matty. Looks like Caroline had the blue car all to herself.


Here are a lot of the kids having fun with the train table and other fun things.


Sweet Ella Charles:


After the party, the birthday boy finally came around and even wore his birthday hat for a while:


A family pic after the party - Jack looks like I imagine he felt and I look like I've been up since 3:00 a.m. (which I had) but at least Ben looks pretty good:)
My last post was all about lessons so here are a few more I've learned since then:
I've learned that you can't plan something with children and always expect it to go exactly right.
I've learned that you CAN have a birthday party without a birthday boy.
I've learned that presents can make a sick 3 year old feel better.
I've learned that if you plan things for your children b/c you enjoy planning them, you can be glad you did it even if they don't get to enjoy it.
I've learned that pictures are worth their weight in gold b/c they are how Jack will one day see how many people loved him and wanted to celebrate his birthday with him.
I've learned that cake is still good a few days later.
I've learned that no matter how hard I try, I'm not in control.... So, if my goal in everything is to glorify God and love people with His love, it makes life much less diappointing! Life just works better if I give every situation over to the Lord.
And I've learned that I am very blessed to have my child - sick or well - and I am so thankful for the three years I've had with him so far!! Even sick, he's pretty cute, right??
Jack ended up having a great party (even though he missed most of it) and we had a fun time with family and friends. I can't wait to see how next year goes:)

11 comments:

Christi said...

Looks like a fun party-- poor Jack! Maybe you could have a "make-up" party later as a surprise for him or something!

I love your little table and chairs- the one with the multi-colored chairs-- did you get it somewhere that I could get one?

Also, Ella Charles is a CHUNK! Yay!! ... and Caroline looked cutie in her little lemon dress, even riding all by herself!

Tina K Rogers said...

wow! now that looks like a fun party!!! i must ad that i'm pretty darn impressed though! your outdoing yourself on these parties! the lori i knew from school couldn't draw the stick figure. ha ha! see there was talent inside you!!! poor little jack! sorry he wasn't feeling up to par! im sure all those presents are the funnest part! and that ella charles is beautiful! i'm glad to see pics of her. get onto carrie for not putting up more!

Courtney said...

What a cute birthday party. I am so sorry Jack was sick for most of it. At least he got to do a few things. There is always next year!

Kim said...

I am so glad that Jack still got to enjoy his party. It is such a bummer when they are stick for a special occasion but it is great that you could go with the flow. I really like dyoru family picture!

Kelly said...

Lori, could that party have been any cuter??? We DID get the invite and I'm soooo very sorry I never even called you. I swore his party was in May (the weekend we were supposed to be there for Anna Reese's portraits with Vicki) and I was soo excited about the party! I even had it on my calender. Whoops! Looks like ya'll had fun without us though. I cannot believe Jack got sick again. That is crazy, seriously. Hope he's feeling better now! Happy Birthday Jack Man! Love, John, Kelly and Anna Reese

Shonna said...

It was a GREAT party!!! Caroline totally enjoyed the train rides (or ride...being since she was on there the whole time) and loved that Jack was feeling good enough to open his presents:) Love y'all!!

Heather said...

Glad Jack got to feeling better to enjoy his party a little. You are outstanding on the party thing. That is one thing this momma is not crazy about, parties are just ssssoooooo much work before, during and after.

Shayna @ Texas Monkey said...

Oh I'm so sorry he was sick, and hope he feels better. The party setup though looks amazing, great details and looks like the kids had such a fun time! Thank you for stopping by my party and saying hi so that I could come here and see yours.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

OH wow you just blew my Thomas party we did a few years ago out of the water :).

All I can say is wow, you have a train! So not showing my boys :). I love you have a GiGi, that is what my boys call my grandmother!

Just amazing!

Colette S said...

Wow. I should hire you!

That was very well put together from the photos I see. What a party!

Happy birthday (belated) to your little one.

I'm also loving your music :) I'm sitting here listening. I rarely ever do that with others music.

Lynn Castleberry said...

We had a great time! Sorry for my child wanting to be the "big helper." I think she did good though just handing them to Jack and not actually trying to open them herself. :)